After trying these gooey cheesy roasted mushroom melts, plain grilled cheese will never be the same! This is also great for vegetarians looking for an exciting new sandwich.
8 Portobello mushroom caps, halved
1 sweet onion, thickly sliced
¼ cup olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices crusty Italian bread
4 tablespoons cream cheese
8 tablespoons ricotta cheese
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 slices
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the mushroom caps and onion slices with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the mushrooms are tender and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the mushrooms cook, prepare the remaining ingredients. Brush or drizzle the remaining olive oil onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Turn all the slices over. Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese onto 4 slices of bread, and spread 2 tablespoons ricotta onto the other 4 slices.
- To assemble the sandwiches, layer the roasted mushrooms and onions on the ricotta-slathered slices of bread (use 4 mushroom halves and 4 onion rounds per sandwich). Place 3 slices of fresh mozzarella over the vegetables, then top with a slice of cream-cheese-slathered bread.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet, and bake until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown, 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, cut in half and serve warm.